Retrieved from: google.com/images
As I sit here writing what perhaps may be my final blog entry, I reflect upon the challenges and rewards of blogging. Although my experience has been brief, I have gained greater insight into the act of blogging, myself as a learner and the many opportunities that exist to connect with others.
Below is what I've learned about myself and blogging so far...
- identifying key topics and/or issues to include in my blog
- evaluating the relevance of what I choose to blog about
- developing motivation to blog beyond what is required
- authoring to an invisible audience/readership
- extending blogging beyond academic purposes to the personal
- investing time into researching topics that I would not otherwise pursue
- recognizing my growth and development as a blogger
- dwelling on relevant topics related to education and technology
- participating in a collective that has supported my learning
- reading others' blogs to consider the perspectives, values and interests of others
I have found that interacting with others online has encouraged me to become more conscious and purposeful in word choice and content. I have learned to evaluate and edit my ideas, always being mindful of my audience. This has also caused me to become more reflective in my learning - to explore and challenge myself to investigate unfamiliar topics and questions that would otherwise be left unanswered.
I remain undecided as to whether I will continue blogging. There are many reasons why I should continue. However, I believe I need to step back to evaluate the motivation and meaning behind my decision to do so.
This blog may be inactive in the next few weeks, months or perhaps indefinitely. However, from this novice experience of blogging, another may arise. That is a decision to be made in another time and place.
Many thanks to everyone who has taken time to read this blog. Your comments and contributions have made this first experience and journey worthwhile.
Here are some articles related to whether one should continue blogging:
To Blog or Not to Blog: Why Female Academics Should Take the Risk
Young Bloggers Stop Blogging and Grow Up, Study Says
Should You Stop Blogging?